This page contains a list of ISOC-AU policy
documents, sorted chronologically.
A separate index-page lists the same documents, sorted by topic-area.
- 14 Mar 2014: NBN Regulatory
Review (.pdf, 140 Kb).
- 16 Sep 2013: Welcome to the
Communications Portfolio - letter to the Hon Malcolm Turnbull MP from
ISOC-AU (.pdf, 613 Kb).
- 19 August 2012: Submission in
response to the request for comments on the Inquiry into potential reforms
of National Security Legislation (.pdf, 199 Kb).
- 20 Jul 2012: Submission in
response to First 2012 auDA Industry Advisory Panel Issues Paper
(.pdf, 264 Kb).
- 27 Apr 2012: Draft Terms of Reference for the
ALRC Reference on Copyright (.pdf, 148 Kb).
- 10 Jun 2011: Review of
.au Policy Framework proposed in auDA paper of May 2011 (.pdf, 134 Kb).
- 24 Feb 2011: National Broadband
Network Companies Bill 2010; and Telecommunications Legislation Amendment
(NBN Measures - Access Arrangements) Bill 2010
(.pdf, 190 Kb).
- 28 Jan 2011: DBDCE Convergence Review:
Terms of Reference (.pdf, 165 Kb).
- 21 Jan 2011: Review of
.au Policy Framework (.pdf, 161 Kb).
- 08 Nov 2010: Comments on the
ACCC's Paper on the NBN Points of Interconnect (POIs) (.pdf,
- 06 Oct 2010:
Comments on the
Exposure Draft of the Australian Privacy Amendment Legislation (.pdf,
- 30 May 2010:
Submission to Australian Curriculum Assessment and Reporting
- 27 May 2010:
Submission on National Broadband Network: Implementation Study (.pdf,
- 23 May 2010:
Comment on the auDA Inquiry into New Second Level Domains (2LDs) (.pdf,
- 31 Mar 2010: Summary to the
Senate Select Committee: ISOC-AU Submissions on the NBN (.pdf,
- 19 Feb 2010: Submission on the NBN
Consultation Paper: Proposed Wholesale Fibre Bitstream Products (.pdf,
- 16 Feb 2010: Comments on the DBCDE
Consultation Paper 'Accountability and Transparency for Refused
Classification Material' (.pdf, 210 Kb).
- 02 Nov 2009: Submission on the
Internet Industry Association's Draft E-Security Code (.pdf, 180 Kb).
- 11 Oct 2009: Submission on the
Inquiry into the Telecommunications Legislation Amendment (Competition and
Consumer Safeguards) Bill 2009 (.pdf, 230 Kb).
- 11 Sep 2009: Submission on the
auDA Inquiry into Domain Renewal, Expiry and Deletion Policy (.pdf,
- 06 Aug 2009: Submission on the
National Broadband Network Company: Legislation and Access Regime
(.pdf, 168 Kb).
- 12 Jul 2009: Submission on an
Cyber Crime by the House of Representatives Standing Committee on
Communications (.pdf, 200 Kb).
- 09 Jun 2009: Submission to the
NTIA Inquiry: Assessment of the Transition of the
Technical Coordination and Management of the Internet's Domain Name and
Addressing System (.doc, 58 Kb).
- 03 Jun 2009: Submission on the National
Broadband Network: Regulatory Reform for 21st Century Broadband (.pdf, 270
- 15 Feb 2009: Submisson on the Continued
Transition of the Technical Coordination and Management of the Internet's
Domain Name and Addressing System (.doc, 140 Kb).
- 11 Feb 2009: Submission on the DBCDE
Consultation Paper: Digital Economy Future Directions (.doc, 80 Kb).
- 26 Jan 2009: Submission on the ALRC Report on
Australian Privacy Law and Practice (.doc, 60 Kb).
- 16 Nov 2008: Response to the
Australian Communications and Media Authority consultation paper,
Restricted Access Systems Declaration
(.doc, 65 Kb).
- 08 Sep 2008: Joint auDA/ISOC-AU response to
DBCDE questions on IPv6 readiness (.pdf, 143 Kb).
- 26 Aug 2008: Submission on the
Regulatory Arrangements Associated with the National Broadband
Network (.pdf, 214 Kb).
- 15 Aug 2008: Submission on ICANN's
Independent Review of the At-Large Advisory Committee (ALAC) (.doc, 36 Kb).
- 01 Aug 2008: Submission to auDA Industry
Competition Advisory Panel (.doc, 86 Kb).
- 30 Jun 2008: Submission on the Regulatory
Arrangements Associated with the National Broadband Network (.doc, 73 Kb).
- 16 May 2008: Submission in
response to the
Internet Industry Association draft Content Services Code (.doc, 64 Kb).
- 30 Apr 2008: Submission to the Review
of the National Innovation System by Tony Hill, President ISOC-AU
(.pdf, 145 Kb) -
see Review website.
- 03 Apr 2008: Submission to the ACT Local
2020 Summit by Tony Hill, President ISOC-AU, on IPv6 (.doc, 51 Kb).
- 30 Mar 2008: Submission on the issues ISOC-AU
believes should be addressed in the Panel of Experts' Request for Proposals for
a National Broadband Network (NBN) (.pdf, 134 Kb).
- 31 Jan 2008: Submission on
the ICANN Domain Tasting Initial Report (.doc, 64 Kb).
- 17 Jan 2008: Submission in
response to the Australian Domain Name Administrator (auDA) Draft
Strategic Plan (.doc, 81 Kb).
- 16 Nov 2007: Submission in
response to the Australian Communications and Media Authority
consultation paper, Restricted Access Systems Declaration (.doc,
- 01 Nov 2007: Submission in response
to DCITA's(USO) Review Issues Paper (.doc, 69 Kb).
- 23 Oct 2007: Submission on the GNSO
Recommendations for the introduction of new generic Top-Level
Domains (.doc, 54 Kb).
- 14 Sep 2007: Submission in
response to the Australian Domain Name Administrator (auDA) Issues
Paper, 'Review of .au Domain Name Policy Framework' (.doc, 60 Kb).
- 14 Sep 2007: Submission in response
to the Australian Domain Name Administrator (auDA) Issues Paper, '.au
Dispute Resolution (auDRP) Review' (.doc, 55 Kb).
- 26 Jul 2007: Submission to
DCITA on the Expert Taskforce on broadband network infrastructure
(.doc, 48 Kb).
- 06 Feb 2006: Response to the Australian
Communications and Media Authority discussion paper on 'Reimbursement
of costs of development of consumer-related industry codes'
(.doc, 52 Kb).
- 15 Jun 2004: Clarification to
Submission to the ACCC's Internet Interconnection enquiry.
- 20 Oct 2003: ISOC-AU Submission on the
Spam Bill 2003 and Spam (Consequential Amendments) Bill 2003.
- 20 Jun 2003: Submission to the
ACCC's Internet Interconnection enquiry.
- 01 Nov 2002: Submission on
Review of Broadcasting Services Act.
- 14 Aug 2002: Submission to the Broadband
Advisory Group: recommendations on `Fast Internet' terminology;
10Mbps speeds; symmetric
access; pricing; rural and remote issues; national leadership.
- 02 May 2002: Submission on SPAM to NOIE
round table discussion. This submission responds to an invitation
for input into an issues paper for consideration at round table discussions.
These discussions are directed toward investigations into the extent of spam
(unsolicited bulk e-mail) problems in Australia and to assess the
effectiveness of current counter measures for controlling illegal or
inappropriate practices, as requested by the Minister for Communications,
Information Technology and the Arts, Senator Richard Alston.
- 10 Nov 1999: Submission on "Consultation Paper
- Restricted Access Systems". This submission comments on the ABA's
proposed restricted access system guidelines. ISOC-AU finds that the
proposals demand that users provide irrelevant personal information
that infringes privacy and may have security implications, and relies
upon undeveloped technology with unknown implementation costs. Thanks to
member Rodos Haywood for preparation of this submission.
- 27 Oct 1999: Comments on Discussion
Paper for the National Bandwidth Inquiry
- 30 Sep 1999: ISOC-AU Submission
on ACT Draft Internet Content Legislation. The States and Terrritories
are considering legislation to enforce BSA provisions on suppliers of
prohibited Internet content. The draft legislation shows the same
misunderstandings as the BSA of the nature of the Internet, and also
leads to some unexpected consequences of regarding Internet content as
- 30 Sep 1999: ISOC-AU Comments
on the IIA Draft Code of Practice Version 5.0.
This Code may be selected for declaration by the ABA as a mandatory
code for ISPs and Internet Content providers, so it is essential that
all Australian Internet users be aware of the limitations of its provisions.
Our thanks to Phillips Fox, Lawyers, for advice on this response.
- 24th May 1999: ISOC-AU has made a submission to the
House of Representatives, Standing Committee on Procedure, on enhancing
community involvement in parliamentary procedures. See here for the
submission. Thanks to member Marghanita da Cruz.
- 30th Apr 1999: ISOC-AU has made a submission to the Select Committee
on Information Technologies, arguing that the proposed "Broadcasting
Services Amendment (Online Services) Bill 1999" will do
little to achieve its goal in restricting children's access
to unsuitable material on the Internet, has serious technological
limitations, and may damage the fledgling Internet industry in Australia.
Here is the ISOC-AU
submission. Thanks to member Rodos Hayward.
- 26th Jan 1997:Response to Australian Tax Office
Electronic Commerce Project.